Welcome to Corner Cottage
Built in the 1800’s Corner Cottage is a stone built end of terrace cottage set in the picturesque dales village of Wolsingham providing 4 Star Gold accommodation for 2 guests. The cottage is a five minutes stroll to the village market place where most of the village amenities are located.
- We have our own website with photos of all the rooms, www.cornercottagewolsingham.co.uk and bookings/enquiries can be made by this or by telephone.
- The cottage is situated close to the centre of the village and the nearest bus stop is in the market place.
- The nearest town, Crook is 4 miles away with a regular bus service to the larger town of Bishop Auckland and Durham City.
- Online groceries can be delivered.
- Keys are collected from the owner next door to the cottage.
- The nearest train station at Bishop Auckland is 11 miles away with Durham and Darlington train stations approximately 23 miles.
- To enjoy the surrounding areas a car is recommended.
- Our guests park in a quiet little side street, quite close to the cottage beside the village green, approximately 200 yards away with a gradual approach back to the cottage.
- Parking is not available directly outside the cottage but guests are able to drive to the front door for loading and unloading.
- The front door is accessed via 2 shallow steps leading into a small vestibule with level entrance into the lounge with a short pile fitted carpet.
- The front door is well lit at night.
- The lounge has a gas fire with fingertip control, wood mantle, comfortable leather three seater sofa and reclining armchair.
- There is a floor standing mother and daughter reading lamp.
- Solid oak nest of three tables.
- Table lamp and overhead lighting.
- Remote controlled flat screen TV with Freeview and subtitles.
- DVD player with a selection of DVD’s.
- A selection of books and magazines.
- There is a short pile fitted carpet with a rug in front of the gas fire.
- A carbon monoxide alarm is fitted.
- A step leads up into the dining room.
- The dining room has a short pile fitted carpet.
- Solid oak dining table.
- Four leather dining chairs without arms.
- Oak console table with matching mirror above.
- Table lamp and Halogen spotlights.
- Radio and CD player.
- Serving hatch to the kitchen.
- An under stair cupboard entry step free, used to store vacuum cleaner, ironing facilities and shelving for groceries.
- A doorway leads into the kitchen which is on the same level as the dining room.
- Stairs lead to the first floor.
- There is a good size well equipped fitted kitchen with non-slip porcelain tiles.
- Breakfast bar and two adjustable stools.
- Built in electric oven with drop down door with gas hob and extractor fan above.
- Dishwasher, microwave, fridge freezer and cordless kettle.
- Halogen spotlights.
- Serving hatch to dining room.
- Window and door roller blinds.
- Fire extinguisher, fire blanket and smoke alarm.
- Coat hooks and boot tray.
- Rear access door with two steps down leading into the garden.
Staircase and Landing
- With good lighting.
- Smoke alarm.
- Short pile fitted carpet.
- Mirror at the top of the stairs.
- Motion controlled night light (can be switched off if not required).
- Switches controlling the shower and extractor fan in the bathroom.
- Doors with level entry leading into the bedroom and bathroom.
- The door heights are lower than normal 1mtr 74cm in height.
- The staircase has eleven stairs.
- With it being the original cottage staircase it is quite steep and has a handrail on the left hand side and two pull handles on the right closer to the top.
- Step free entry from the landing.
- The bathroom has non-slip white oak flooring.
- Quality white suite.
- Electric shower over the bath with shower screen and grab rail.
- The walls are part ceramic tiled.
- Lever tap on the wash hand basin.
- Wall mirror and shaver point with light above.
- LED spotlights in the ceiling.
- Heated towel rail and free standing towel rail in addition to a radiator.
- Cupboard which houses the combi boiler.
- Egyptian cotton towels which are provided.
- The beds are from the Sealy Gold range and can be either a super king size zip linked together, or if required, 2 x 3ft comfortable single divans.
- A Stag wardrobe and drawer set.
- 2 x bed side cabinets and lamps.
- Electric radio alarm clock.
- Wall mirror and vanity mirror.
- Hairdryer and torch.
- Overhead lighting.
- Luggage stand.
- Bedroom chair.
- Short pile fitted carpet.
- Bedside rug.
- Mattress protectors, pillow protectors, pillow cases, sheets, duvet and duvet cover are all hypoallergenic.
- Sheets, pillow cases and duvet cover are Egyptian cotton and are provided.
- All bedding is non feather.
- Two spare blankets and two spare pillows.
General Cottage Information
- The Cottage is double glazed with gas central heating provided by a combi boiler, radiators with thermostatic valves and a gas fire in the lounge.
- There are 2 x smoke detectors and 1 x carbon monoxide detector. A fire extinguisher and fire blanket are located in the kitchen with another fire extinguisher upstairs.
- The Cottage is non-smoking and we ask guests not to use lit candles.
- There are instructions for the use of all appliances in the guest information book.
- The guest information book also contains telephone numbers, of the local doctors, chemist, hospital, local coffee shops, pubs, restaurants, farm shops and takeaways. Also included are details of taxi, public transport and parking/park and ride for Durham City.
- Contact details for the builder, electrician and plumber are also in the guest information book in the event that the owners cannot be contacted.
- All cleaning and ironing equipment, bistro table and chairs are in the under stair cupboard.
- Unfortunately we are unable to cater for pets except for guide dogs.
- Guests are welcome to use the owner’s washing machine.
- The rear access from the kitchen has 2 steps down to the garden. The garden, enclosed by a dry stone wall is shared with the cottage owners and guests are very welcome to enjoy the garden and small patio area. The garden includes a fish pond, lawn, flower beds, wooden garden bench and washing line.
- There are 2 motion controlled security lights. There is a lockable garden gate with a step down onto a country lane leading to fields, used by walkers providing additional rear access to the property.
- We are open all year including Christmas and New Year.
- Free Wi Fi.
- Doctor’s surgery is in the market place.
- NHS General Hospital (not A&E) is in Bishop Auckland.
- Walls, doors, door frames and carpets are light in colour.
- If Jean and Ramsay cannot be contacted on the numbers above please contact the following:
Electrician: Mark Gray 07719092213
Plumbing: John Wilson 07751754041
Building: Michael Scott 07919883331
We do welcome guest’s comments and feedback in order to help us improve our facilities and look forward to seeing you again.